|<<Previous<< <<Index>> >>Next>>|
Trinidad, Colorado - A Historic Building Survey
Map location #36.
The interesting and well proportioned Chappell house was built in 1883 on a lot once owned by the very prominent early cattleman Frank Bloom. Delos A. Chappell, the city engineer who installed the city waterworks, also set up his own private water filtration system in the third story of this spacious house. Chappell later relocated in Denver and again became quite prominent and moved in Denver's exclusive and elite social circles. For many years his Denver home housed the Denver Museum of Native Arts but even that has now fallen to the bull dozers and serves as a parking lot.
After Chappell moved to Denver, his Trinidad home was acquired and occupied by Dr. John Espey.
It is interesting to note that in the older photograph the home sat at or slightly below street level while it now sits well above the existing street level. The level of the main streets of Trinidad have, over the years, been changed quite drastically. In some places Main Street has received as much as five or six feet of fill while in other areas it has been lowered as much as four or five feet.
The second photograph is dated July, 1970.
Legal Description: Part of Lot 1; Block 117 OTS.
Figure 74 Chappell House
Figure 75 Chappell House
|Page hits =2260 since 9/21/05||<<Previous<< <<Index>> >>Next>>|